Loneliness has been linked to higher blood pressure and depression, and an increased risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. We are meant to share our lives with people. It is nature so when we are alone and lonely, Nature has a way of trying to fill the void.
Download the podcast here
Filling the void of loneliness
God also promises to give you back a double portion of what you have lost so the first thing you need to do to escape the snares of loneliness is to speak to the atmosphere. Decree and declare that God will fill the void in your life with a double portion of what is missing.
Because we are not designed to be lonely and alone, sometimes we prefer to live in conflict than live alone in an empty house. I have heard so many men including my own father say that when their wife’s left them they couldn’t stand the empty house and they begged her to come back. An empty house, a house void of kids or just the presence of another could lead to depression.
The reason that empty nesters find something to do when the kids leave the house is that they are trying to fill the void in their homes and heart.
Don’t fill the void of loneliness with alcohol or food
- Be careful what you use to fill your empty places or use to fill your void of Loneliness.
- You can’t use alcohol to fill void of abandonment.
- You can’t use food to fill the void of low self-esteem.
- You can’t use sex to fill the void of not being enough.
Don’t let anyone use you to fill their void. Do not become the substitute to fill anyone’s void. Not only will you be lonely again when they dump you but you will also feel used and abused.
- To escape the snares of loneliness you have to be connected to a worshiper or connected to support. If your home is empty, you need someone to talk to on the phone, you need the community of worshippers at your church to escape the snares of Loneliness. Late in the midnight hour when you can’t sleep you need someone you can call who will listen. You need connection to God and man.
- You need someone to pull you into something new. You need to find someone or something to hold onto someone to hold you up. Someone you can borrow their strength until God turns it around. Because a fresh anointing is coming your way.
- Keep busy get out of the house.
Here are 5 ways to escape the snares of Loneliness
- Take up a new hobby
- Volunteer at your local church, hospital, food bank etc.
- Get into books and live vicariously through the stories
- Go to the movies or go out dancing. You can even learn to dance by joining a dance class.
- Get or borrow a dog. Dogs are man’s best friend and you can never be lonely with a dog around. If you’re a dog lover, but don’t have the space, time or money to have your own, then ‘dog borrowing’ might be just the thing for you. Maybe a friend or neighbor has a dog they’d like to get a walk and some company during the day while they are at work. That’s what we call a win win situation.
Loneliness is a real. If you find yourself with the void of human company, I hope I gave you some tips to escape the snares of loneliness. The flip side of loneliness is enjoying your own company and being okay with being alone. So, people are introverts and truly enjoy their own company.
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of 5 min Fridays with coach Myrna